This is my Herb and Vegetable Garden. This makes me happy! Some of the plants have just been planted, so they may look small at this point... but they will be knee high in a month. I have always had a love for gardens and I have my grandparents to thank for that. Leon and Helen Shankle left many legacy's, but for me, it was watching my grandfather in his garden and my grandmother in her kitchen. My grandfather's garden was at least an acre! I remember corn, peas, okra, potatoes, tomatoes, and so much more. Most of all, I remember shelling the peas! We would sit with our bowls of peas and shell for hours. Little did I know at the time that it wasn't so much the shelling as it was all of us around the table bonding. I truly miss those innocent days with the cousins and how life was so simple. We had a huge family... I was one of 16 grandchildren and most of us lived within a 5 mile radius of each other. We were the Shankle clan and we were proud of it. Unfortunately, my children will never experience that, other then me asking them to go cut an herb from the garden that I need to cook with. I guess that is "some" exposure. May you rest in peace grandmother and grandfather and thank you for all the sweet memories that will never be forgotten!
Leon and Helen Shankle
No comments:
Post a Comment